Friday, July 1, 2011

Lilies and Hydrangeas I

In the middle of the winter, when I'm craving sunshine and flowers, I like to go to the Flower Show and walk through the spring-like displays. At the last show I attended, there was a beautiful floral arrangement of lilies and hydrangeas just begging to be photographed. I knew I wanted to do a large painting of these gorgeous flowers, and the painting above was done as a study for that. I was pleased with the results of my study and continued with it to turn it into a finished piece. The large lilies are the "stars" and the hydrangeas their quiet backdrop. I try to use this combination of "important and less-important" for my compositions.

This is an original watercolor floral on Arches paper and the painted image is 8 1/2" x 11 3/4". I offer it double matted to 14 1/2" x 18". The mats are always acid-free and are usually Bainbridge or Crescent.

I've created an auction for this piece with DPW Auctions; the link is below.

Click here to bid

2 comments:

  1. You did a great job with this painting! I love the sensuousness of the colors in the lilies. Very effective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful values; this is striking. Well done!

    ReplyDelete